Subject: RE: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:37:01 -0400

Some Noctilux pros and cons:

PRO
- ---
- -- no other lens gives you as limited a DOF, which can be used in very
creative ways
- -- the bokeh is terrific
- -- there's virtually no such thing as not enough light
- -- shadow details galore
- -- it can do things no other 50 can do

CON
- ---
- -- it's soooo much heavier and bulkier than the summicron
- -- also much longer focus throw (which means slower focusing)
- -- more propensity to flare than the Cron
- -- noticeable vignetting at wider apertures (entirely absent from Lux and
Cron)
- -- forget about using filters; even an ND filter for your fill flash method
will likely cause further vignetting (disclaimer: I don't know this for
sure)
- -- 1 meter min. focus distance compared to .7 meters for the Cron
- -- price (I manage to forget this every time <g>)
- -- obscures more of the viewfinder than the Lux or Cron
- -- can it really do that much more than other 50's?

For low light work, there is another option: a 35/1.4 asph.  For most
purposes, you can shoot this lens in the same light as a noct cuz you gain a
stop in hand holdability.  But that doesn't help you for moving targets, and
I'm not sure the Lux gets as much of what's in the shadows as the Noct.  The
Noct has its trademark bokeh, too, and for bokeh nutz like me that's enough
reason to own one right there.

A third option is a 75/1.4: same great bokeh, but this lens is incredibly
sharp throughout its aperture range and there's no vignetting.  Same bulk
considerations, though.

Dan

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)