Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:18:36 +0200

I think the question is more complex than that.  Here you have a lens that is
two stops faster than another roughly-equivalent lens, but not _just_ two stops
faster.  It's also much more expensive, and it's heavier, and it is (from what I
understand) very slightly inferior to the less expensive but slower lens at most
apertures.  Given the expense and weight involved, and these various factors,
and assuming you cannot just go out and buy both the Noctilux and a slower 50mm
lens, the choice between the two may not be obvious.

I got the Noctilux because I like to have a way of shooting photos at night, and
I hate flash with a passion.  For this purpose, the choice was very clear
indeed, as there is no alternative.  And the lens performs wonderously in that
capacity.  But I still think about getting a Summicron one of these days, as
there is apparently some small difference in results between that and the
Noctilux.  However, I won't give up the Noctilux for this, as it cannot be
replaced for the purposes for which I bought it, so it's a matter of finding the
funds for both.

For others who are less intent on being able to shoot in extremely dark
conditions, the choice is far more difficult to make, I suspect.