Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:22:56 +0200

Dan Honemann wrote:

> >   So more often than not I end up using the Noctilux at f/2 or
> > f/1.4.  A lot of photographers like the black corner effect with
> > B&W film and see this as an advantage but I prefer to burn in the
> > corners in the darkroom when I choose to do so.
>
> I've wondered about this, specifically in reference to Stephen Holloway's
> fine use of the Noct (see www.deepturtle.com): he seems to shoot it wide
> open (at least the DOF is incredibly shallow) but there's no evidence of
> vignetting in the corners.  Has he cleaned it up in photoshop, found another
> way around it, or is he shooting at higher apertures?  Stephen?

It does vignette at f1.0, but you only really notice it with a plain
background. Of course since this is the bokeh lens you hardly ever have
a plain background! The vignetting adds somewhat to the coma effect
giving the 'swirly' look around the main subject. The vignetting is
pretty much gone by f1.4 (and I do use it at that aperture a fair amount
- - depending on how much I can overexpose my film when stuck at
1/1000s!).

I say buy it! Otherwise you'll always be wondering... (and don't forget,
it holds its resale value well).

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com