Subject: Re: [Leica] cleaning...
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:14:22 -0700

Several have compared ClearSight to ROR and Zeiss.
No doubt ROR is an effective cleaner. I believe that ClearSight is superior,
if nothing else, for the fact that it contains no harsh chemicals and it
leaves no residue. ROR is ammonia based, Zeiss  is made of alcohol and
water. ClearSight is surfactant based.
Future batches of Clearsight will contain an antifog agent, requested by
motorcyclists, and for those who must have it, there will be a stronger
formula. I think we will call it Formula One or maybe Ferrari, but I think
the royalties for the latter would be too high.

As for microfiber cloths, I like two brands. Dust-Off and ClearSight.
Dust-Off has the feel of silk, while ClearSight feels like soft suede. Both
are lintless and do a great job of cleaning.

I do not advocate cleaning a dirty lens with a dry cloth, it would be too
easy to scratch it.
Nor should a cleaner be sprayed directly onto a photographic lens. It might
seep down to lower element. I will make an exeption for a very dirty and
encrusted lens in order to emulsify the surface dust. But then, a lens
should not be allowed to become so dirty. Cinematographers check the optics
frequently during filming to eliminate dust before it become a problem.

Joe Codispoti
http://www.thegrid.net/joecodi/clearsight.html

Message from Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net> (Re: [Leica] cleaning...)