Subject: [Leica] EFKE
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:52:45 -0400

At 10:55 AM 7/21/01 -0400, Mike Durling wrote:
>I've asked Erwin and I will ask here again, does anybody have any experience
>with the Efke films?  I heard there was some quality-control problems but I
>never talked to anyone who actually used these films.  You have to buy a lot
>to make ordering from Germany worthwhile.y

EFKE is Croatian, not German.  It is magnificent film, being an incarnation
of the vaunted ADOX formulation of 1950 -- in the early 1950's, ADOX was a
miracle emulsion, primarily used by higher-end 35mm professionals and
advanced amatuers, especially Leica and Contax users.  The film was
developed and made by the firm of Dr C Schleussner Fotowerke in Frankfurt;
Messrs Schleussner claimed a heritage back to the 1850's and contended that
they were the oldest photographic company in Germany, neatly avoiding the
corporate theft which caused Voigtländer to move from Austria to
Braunschweig late in that decade.  Schleussner was purchased by DuPont at
some point and, twenty years later, DuPont licensed Fotokemika Zagreb to
make the ADOX formulations under the EFKE brand.

Fotokemika Zagreb has had most uneven marketing practices in the US and has
recently had their production interrupted while they moved to a new and
larger plant outside of Zagreb.

Look you, this is not a T-grain film, but it is a pleasant, foregiving
emulsion which produces a lot of shadow detail and which doesn't block up
very easily.

AND they still make 620 and 127 film!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315