Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M (what's the benefit?)
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:47:04 +0200

Kim writes:

> Can someone please tell me the benefits
> of a digital M?

It puts Leica on the all-important digital bandwagon.  Kind of like a new
cellphone that posts the all-important WAP capability.

> ... it's just I'm not sure why everyone is so
> excited with the prospect of a smart media card
> M6.

Nor am I.  I'm still getting results from film that no digital camera the size
(or the price) of the M6 would be able to match.  Why pay more for less?

> The digital photos I've seen so far, though
> vibrant and have had lots of detail, seem somehow
> different...I'm not sure how to describe it, but
> they look kinda flat or lifeless...to me.

Overall, digital capture produces a much more accurate representation of
reality, like video (and especially digital video) compared to movie film.  It
may look flat because it has no grain, or because most of the photos you've seen
are taken with the ubiquitous cheap consumer-grade digicam, and these digicams
have cheap CCDs, poor image processing software and hardware, and cheap lenses.