Subject: [Leica] digital M redoux
From: "Jay Burleson" <jayburleson@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:37:16 -0700

Having started the latest thread about the digital M, I hereby put in my .02
cents.
At this point I shoot film in my M6 and large format. I will continue to do
so until film goes away, or I go away.
I use Leica because of the lens quality with the size and
quietness/unobtrusiveness of the M being a close second.
I do traditional wet printing to hang on the walls and I scan and output
with Epson equipment for web and proofing use.
I think the idea of a digital M is the best thing since sliced bread.
I want a digital camera as an adjunct to my film camera.
I think once a full frame chip is available, so you don't have the problems
of your 50mm becoming an 80+mm lens, it will be perfect for an M.
I don't care if it would take an act of God to create a 100 megapixel camera
to rival film, because I don't want one to do that.
I don't want to buy a digital camera that I can't change lenses with.
I can't afford or justify investing in a Nikon or Canon system (lenses &
bodies) just to have a digital camera, nor do I need mondo amount of
resolution.
So if I can get an M style body that has a good quality chip in it and uses
the lenses that I have bought and paid for long ago, I am not bothered that
they won't use the full capability of those lenses.
Because they will use the full capability of the chip, which is what I'm
buying.
How many of us use the full capability of our lenses with film anyway?
Notice the inordinate numbers of the letter "I" in this post...
Now I will go put on my nomex fire coat and await with baited breath the

Jay Burleson
"There is a thin line between coincidence and fate, my friend."
UPDATED 5-30-01: http://www.jayburleson.com/