Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Digital...
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:53:29 +0200

Mikiro Mori writes:

> "We plan to have a 25% share in the total sales
> of digital cameras in three years."

And I plan to be a billionaire before next summer.  What are the chances that I
will succeed in this?

Just _designing_ a good camera--film or digital--may take three years.  Given
that, how can anyone aspire to 25% of the total market in 36 months?

> "We are seriously thinking about an interchangeable
> lens system. This will NOT be the M mount."

So the entire inventory of existing M lenses will be unusable.  Everyone can
just spend $35,000--again--to buy all new lenses for the digital camera.  Of
course, the use of 18-800 plastic megazooms will help.

> "The production will be in Japan, because the
> Matsushita plant in Japan is better than our factory
> in Germany if we make a large volume of high quality
> lenses."

Translation:  We need the lenses fast and cheap, even if quality has to suffer a
bit.  After all, we need working cameras on the shelves in 90 days (see below).

> "With Fuji, the cameras were 95% Fuji and
> 5% Leica. From now, we will introduce more and
> more Leica DNA into the collaboration with
> Matsushita."

Translation:  Leica will sell its remaining secrets of lens design and
manufacture to Matsushita in exchange for cash.

> "We will release three cameras in autumn."

Hmm ... with a two-year design cycle for M and R lenses, and the need to design
new lenses for a camera that won't accept the M lenses, what sort of lenses will
we have after 90 days of development?

> Leica appears to be more serious than before
> with digital stuff.

Or more desperate.  Matsushita is the winner here, with an influx of valuable
technology at low cost.

I also wonder how Matsushita's "advanced audio and video technology" is relevant
for still cameras.  I think what is really relevant here is that Matsushita is
willing to write Leica a check if Leica will turn over the goods on lens design.

I just hope they continue to build M bodies and build and design M lenses.