Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:08:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> The had on HTML or Java a program which explained bokeh and showed
> it interactively.

http://www.flarg.com/bokeh.html

But this is a digital image, where the program that generated it, by
definition, knows where each point is.

Besides the lack of knowledge about distance to the object, a digital
camera would have other problems if it wanted to copy a certain bokeh,
for example, the dynamic range of the ccd: A highlight that saturates
a pixel can be ten times brighter than its maximum representable
value, so the circle of confusion would all be white, regardless of
the spread on the film plane. The camera has no way of knowing this,
so the result is likely to be a muddy highlight, just as when you blur
am image in Photoshop.

BTW, I have a problem with the phrase "generate bokeh". I'd rather say
"blur the background in a way that emulates the bokeh of a certain
lens."

Bokeh is not blur. Bokeh is the way a lens renders the out of focus
parts. "Generate bokeh" makes as much sense as "generate flare
control."

 Juan J. Buhler | Sr. FX Animator @ PDI | Photos at http://www.jbuhler.com

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!)