Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:46:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ted Grant wrote:

> Love it! A man after me own heart with all that silly stuff! ;-) Good on you
> Sonny! :-)

So guys,

What is silly?  The concept that the out of focus areas of a picture
are rendered differently from lens to lens? The name "bokeh"?  The
fact that the Japanese seem to have paid explicit attention to
it before the Germans did?

We all know that most times it is the in focus part that makes the
picture. Doh. I feel silly even writing such an obvious statement. But
bad bokeh can (I'm not saying "will") distract from an otherwise well
composed, focused and exposed picture in the same way that grain or
flare can.

BTW, I'm sure that most published, experienced and accomplished
photographers will be the first ones to be open to learning about a
concept they hadn't heard about before.

 Juan J. Buhler | Sr. FX Animator @ PDI | Photos at http://www.jbuhler.com

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!)