Subject: RE: [Leica] nail-biting leica user
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <griffil1@anz.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:06:16 +1000

From: brad daly [mailto:bwdaly@hiwaay.net]

>here's the problem: because my nails are so short, i can't flip out the
>little half-ring to release the bottom plate.  who's faced this dilemma
>before?  i'm thinking i can fashion a little tab out of duct tape (good
>alabamian that i am) so that i can pull the ring out, yet still fold it up
>flush with the bottom of the camera.

A friend of mine who is a nail biter tried to give up by putting some sort
of hot chilli paste on his finger tips, to stop him biting (dog training
kind of scenario).  So each time he bit his nails he also burnt his tongue.
And quite apart from that he got chilli paste on everything (didn't let him
near my Leica) - so that might not work for you.  BTW, it didn't work for
him either.

How about a small loop of fishing line around the ring?  Pull and it's out.
All other times it squashes out of the way.

Another idea - some straps have little sticking out bits, for despressing
the rewind at half roll button on whiz bang SLRs.  Maybe you could replace
your common and garden Leica strap for one of those, and use the little
stick out bit to remove the ring..

cheers,
Lucian G.