Subject: Re: [Leica] Radioactive glass in M lenses ?
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:27:52 +0200

Hugh Thompson writes:

> Talking to a dealer this evening and he told me
> that glass in some 1950's M lenses is radioactive,
> and the lenses have added value because of their
> rarity.

Leica and most other manufacturers of good lenses use special glasses to obtain
the optical characteristics they require.  At one time, Leica had its own glass
lab, and at least one of the glasses it produced contained thorium oxide.
Thorium is a mildly radioactive metal similar to uranium in its radioactivity.
The use of thorium and lanthanum oxides made it possible to obtain very high
indices of refraction with low dispersion, which is useful for correction of
many aberrations.

Unfortunately I can't be more specific on which lenses used thorium-containing
glasses; I only know (thanks again to Erwin Puts) that a few lenses were
designed with such glasses.  These may only have been the few that incorporated
glass from Leica's own small glass lab.  The early Noctilux incorporated special
glass from this lab, but I don't know if it used a thorium-containing glass.  In
any case, that Noctilux is extraordinarily rare today (and should not be
confused with the current Noctilux, which uses off-the-shelf optical glasses
without thorium).

Thorium is not a health hazard unless you eat it or inhale it, and even then, it
presents only a tiny risk, compared to most radioactive isotopes. It is still
used for fabrication of specialty optical glass (but I don't know if Leica ever
uses it).  It is also widely used for the mantles of gas lamps, as an alloying
ingredient with magnesium, in refractories for crucibles and furnaces, and the
like.