Subject: Re: [Leica] Radioactive glass in M lenses ?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:08:04 -0400

At 02:27 PM 7/27/01 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
>Leica and most other manufacturers of good lenses use special glasses to
obtain
>the optical characteristics they require.  At one time, Leica had its own
glass
>lab, and at least one of the glasses it produced contained thorium oxide.
>Thorium is a mildly radioactive metal similar to uranium in its
radioactivity.
>The use of thorium and lanthanum oxides made it possible to obtain very high
>indices of refraction with low dispersion, which is useful for correction of
>many aberrations.

The affected lenses were pre-production and very early production 2/5cm
collapsible Summicrons.  See Dr Blood's article in VIEWFINDER four or five
years back.

Leica did, and still does, to my knowledge, have a laboratory for optical
glasses, but it has never made its own glass.  Until 1926, it used glass
from CP Goerz in Berlin and then, after the Zeiss Ikon merger closed that
facility, shifted to Schott glass, first from Jena and, after the Second
World War, from Mainz.  In recent years, some of the Schott glasses
supplied have come from Hoya, who manufactures them under license.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "Daniel Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Radioactive glass in M lenses ?)