Subject: RE: [Leica] NOw OT Contax, was Leica filters, by Leica?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:52:00 -0400

At 10:11 AM 7/27/01 -0600, Kevin M. Bell wrote:
>The lenses are produced in Japan, under license.  As far as I know, none
>are produced in Germany.  They still use Schott glass and the manufacture
>is directed or supervised by engineers from Carl Zeiss.

This can be a slippery term, as most of the more mundane Schott glasses are
now made by Hoya -- they are so listed in the Schott Catalog, that industry
standard.  Thus, the actual glass used in the Kyocera plant to make a given
Zeiss lens might well come from the Hoya plant in Japan.  No problem:  the
Hoya standards used for their Schott glasses are quite high.  (And, yes, I
have had unfortunate problems with the quality of Hoya filters, but that
isn't the same glass used in their Schott formulae.)

It has been the custom that newly introduced or exotic (really wide-angle
or extreme telephoto) designs are made at Oberkochen, while production of
other lenses moves early in the run to Kyocera.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> ([Leica] Hoya filters)