Subject: RE: [Leica] Glass issues
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:05:22 -0700

At 8:19 PM -0400 7/27/01, Austin Franklin wrote:
>  > It seems to me that the real issue with a filter is whether or
>>  not the glass is
>>  truly flat and appropriately coated.  If it is flat, the index of
>>  refraction and
>>  dispersion shouldn't make any difference, anyway.  And coating
>>  can hold down
>>  flare.
>
>Additionally, coplanar and perpendicular to the axis of the lense.  Any of
>those issues can cause trouble.

These problems don't seem to be as bad anymore, but when I bought
filters in the 70's I sometimes had to go through a dozen or more
before I found a useable one. Sometimes I never did find one. The
coplanar issue seemed to be a problems for a number of manufacturers.
The only brand, and I include Leica, B+W and Heliopan in this, that I
never had a problem with was Nikon. Unfortunately, they had (have)
only a limited range of colours and sizes. The worst were Harrison &
Harrison.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design