Subject: RE: [Leica] NOw OT Contax, was Leica filters, by Leica?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:58:38 -0700

At 2:58 PM -0700 7/27/01, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Rarity, not picture taking capability....Why is an old beatup camera like
>the Null series Leica cameras which take lousy pictures by today's
>standards, are worth so much, if not for rarity?
>
>BTW, I think the designs may not be much if at all different.  There are
>probably tolerancing differences in manufacturing.  The newer one,  on
>average, I would bet, is a better performer.
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net
>

>cannot understand  why a Hologon for
>Contax is worth $2.000 and similar Hologon in M mount never sells under
>$5000 ; they are in fact same lens, aren't they?

The Hologon lenses are not the same; the 15 Hologon as made for Leica
was made by Zeiss at first in the fixed focus, fixed lens Hologon
camera that was actually part of the Contarex system (same
interchangeable back) and hasn't been made since the early 70's. The
16mm Hologon for the Contax G is new. The new Hologon is better.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com