Subject: RE: [Leica] Bergger BRF 200 First Impressions - some TP content (BEWARE!)
From: Marty Deveney <freakscene@weirdness.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:08:01 +1000

 >I don't believe Bergger and Fortepan are the same, at least from
recalling all the >discussions of this on the LF lists. I use it in 8x10
and really quite like it.

You're absolutely correct - Fortepan 200 is not the same as
Bergger.  Fortepan has a different film base, different emulsion thickness
and different curve response.  I embedded small pieces of film in resin and
sectioned them at 1 micron (a la transmission electron microscopy) and
looked at them quite carefully with a microscope (not a Leitz - we use
N***n in this lab because they offer better service and a wider range of
equipment).

I too have tried Bergger BRF 200.  I like it but haven't done enough to
make any certain comments.  I think Fomapan 400 looks more like old Tri-X
(when it came rated by Kodak at 200) to me, but BRF is certainly sharper
than Foma 400.

In a couple of months I will have enough information to post some photos
taken on Efke, Foma, Forte, old (several ages of [cold-stored]) Tri-X and
Bergger.  It's been a project of considerable interest for me.

 >2. The Kodak technical publication warns " Load in complete darkness".
Why ? >Does the anti-halation coating behave similar to Kodak HIE and sucks
in stray >photons ?

HIE has *no* anti-halation coating.  TP is very far-red sensitive and
although light piping is less likely (TP does have an anti-halation
coating) far red and IR have a habit of getting diffracted _around_ light
seals into film cans.  Kodak are just being (perhaps justifiably) cautious
on this one.  I load dozens of rolls of TP into a copystand camera and
microphotography gear in bright florescent light here in my lab every week
and none has ever been light-struck.  I hate the stuff for normal pictorial
photography, but in carefully controlled conditions, down a microscope, the
grain size and resolving power can be useful.

Later all,

Marty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marty Deveney
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology
The University of Queensland
Brisbane	4072
AUSTRALIA

steam megaphone + 61 7 3365 6979