Subject: Re: [Leica] OT-Large format lens & shutter
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:07:53 -0400

Charles,

Don't worry about the very slight yellow cast from the Xenotar. It most likely came from the factory that way, due to Schneider's choice of one or
more of the elements used in its 1950's design.  I doubt whether there has been, or will be, any color change to the elements unless you are having a
problem with the cement used to glue elements together. My 150/2.8 also has a slight warmth to it when compared to current Nikon, Schneider, or
Rodenstock offerings.  If you want to look through a VERY warm (yellowish) lens, look at any of the Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar lenses from the 1950's and
60's.  The glass they used was inherently warm and incredibly sharp!  I have both the 150 and 210mm.  The effect is quite pleasing, especially when
shooting skin tones, and I would only consider it a problem if I were shooting transparencies under controlled color temperature lighting of white or
grey objects, where accurate neutral tones were an absolute necessity.

As a side note, the lens performance of the Xenotar at f2.8 is not stellar, but then again, it is 2.8!  By stopping down just one stop to f4.0, the
detail sharpness increases quite dramatically, and you are still a stop faster than most 150mm lens.

Shoot and enjoy.  I do.

Warm Regards,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY