Subject: [Leica] OT-Large format lens & shutter
From: Charles Harris <charles@charlesharris.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:05:56 -0500

I just got a Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 lens for my Linhof. Fast! Bright!
Very cool. Warm actually. That's the thing, while the glass is very clean
and blemish free, it's rather yellow in color. I ran some E6 to see exactly
how it will render on film, but I won't see it till Monday. I don't mind a
bit of warmth so if the color is pleasant I won't be too concerned about
that aspect. However, I am concerned about it's long term affect. Such as
resale or a continued yellowing of the lens. Can any of you optical gurus
tell me about yellowing? What causes it? Age I presume. What harmful effects
may it have? Will it get worse? Etc. I have a two week return period, should
I consider sending it back? Again, if the film test isn't hideous, I don't
mind a bit of extra warmth.

According to the serial # and Schneider's web site, the lens is from around
1955! Original leather lens caps and case. I'm not so fond of the shutter,
an old Compur. What's the story with Prontor shutters? From what I've seen,
they seem to be the answer to someone like me that can hardly remember to
open, close, cock, set aperture, and all those other annoying view camera
operations. I'm spoiled by the M6, it's a tiny bit easier. Any shutter info
would be great.

From what I've seen so far, the bokeh is great. Imagine 2.8 on a 4x5, very
lucious OOF area. Creamy smooth. Exceptionally bright ground glass viewing.

charles h

Replies: Reply from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] OT-Large format lens & shutter)