Subject: Re: [Leica] Some lens tests
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:53:47 +0200

A fascinating test.  I'm especially amazed by how poorly the Nikkor 1.8/50
performs at all apertures.  I actually have this lens, I think, somewhere, but I
don't use it anymore; after seeing this, I'm not tempted to start using it
again!

I'm also somewhat surprised by how close the lenses are in the 90mm test.  The
Leicas are clearly superior at the other focal lengths, but at 90mm it looks
like a wash to me.

One other thing I noticed that is significant:  none of these lenses, at any
aperture, is resolving more than about 40 lp/mm.  Indeed, if I downsample your
actual-size scan to the size that would have been provided by an LS-2000 (with a
maximum resolution of 2700 dpi), then upsample it again to the size provided by
the 4000, the result looks identical to the original.  In other words, the
resolution of the image is no more than 53 lp/mm, and probably considerably
less, around 40 lp/mm.  It may be a film limitation, since the Summicron 90, at
least, is supposed to be able to do far better than this (around 100 lp/mm, even
out at the edges of the field, and even wide open).  Provia starts to fall off
pretty rapidly at 50 lp/mm, if I remember correctly.

Yet more evidence that, for most purposes, you need never go beyond 2700 dpi.
And the fact that this was all done on a tripod just underscores this point.
And in the case of the Nikkor 50, even a hand scan of a one-hour print would
probably extract just about all it can manage!

I don't see any Leica Glow (tm), either.