Subject: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:01:11 -0400

Having long lusted for an M5, and having sold a couple of piece of Nikon
equipment, late last week I purchased, sight unseen, a chrome M5 from
Ken Hansen in NYC...The camera, with Sherry K approved serial number,
was described as a user in very good condition.

The piece arrives. And it was GORGEOUS. "User" probably meant that
someone took photos of the grandkids a few times: a minute bit of
brassing on the lugs. A bit of grime here and there - easily removed.
But otherwise, it looked as though it had spent the past 20some years
under Marc Small's pillow.

So I load it up and start to do some shooting. The handling is
dream-like. Fits my hands perfectly. Advance is smooooooth, shutter
release smooooth and quiet. Shutter speed dial a joy. Finder bright,
rangefinder image crisp. Everything seems great.

But then I begin to get a funny feeling about the meter readings:
something just isn't right. Get out the Sekonic. Get out an M6. Start
taking readings.

Shit...The M5 is ALL over the place. 1/2 stop under. 1.5 stops over.
Stop under. .5 stop over. Right on the money. 1.5 stops under.

What to do? I love the camera. I know that Ken Hansen will have the
meter adjusted. I KNOW that Sherry could keep the meter going virtually
forever.

But then we come to the moment of truth - and lesson learned: My cameras
are tools. I bought the M5 because I need a third M body, and I love the
M5. But bottom line - I have to depend upon these tools.

So back goes the M5 - a mint- M6 classic is on the way to replace it.

Lesson learned - if you're taking photos to amuse yourself, or to amuse
your muse, shoot with an "O" if that's what rocks you. But if it you're
shooting to feed yourself - forget the romance, drama, HCB, and "glo" -
and go with the most reliable equipment - suited to your workstyle -
that you can get. Period.

B. D.

Oh - BTW - I have purchased equipment from Ken Hansen many times in the
past and will continue to do so in the future. The folks there are a
delight to deal with.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?)