Subject: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?
From: Don Lawrence <DLawrence@fkp.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:01:34 -0500

>So back goes the M5 - a mint- M6 classic is on the way to replace it.

>Lesson learned - if you're taking photos to amuse yourself, or to amuse
>your muse, shoot with an "O" if that's what rocks you. But if it you're
>shooting to feed yourself - forget the romance, drama, HCB, and "glo" -
>and go with the most reliable equipment - suited to your workstyle -
>that you can get. Period.

>B. D.

Sorry to read that your M5 experience was not all you thought it would be.
My M5 has functioned flawlessly since day one (last December) but none the
less I sent it to Sherry
for a CLA. Listening to Sherry at a local camera swap meet she confided
her preference for the M5 as her personal favorite M. I think I know why.
The last M body designed on the adjust rather than replace mentality. Plus
a really nice size, balance, and control layout. The ultimate M design.
It even has a self timer! A real oversight on the M6.

But, you can't expect a 30 year old camera to come off the shelf and
function
flawlessly. Not even a Leica.
I wish you had taken the time to send that M5 in for a CLA and meter
adjustment.
Then you would have had a professional reliable machine fit to be passed on
to your
grandchildren. That's if they still make film for it......

Now how much is that M5 at Ken Hansen...?

Don

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?)