Subject: Re: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:06:20 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > How grey is green? How grey SHOULD it be? How about blue?
> > Selenium, Silicon Blue, CdS...
>
> No no no.  It is VERY deterministic!  Different sensors do see colors on
> different curves, but the metering system are designed to take this into
> consideration and should still give (reasonably) the same results.

System? you mean something else than the sensor decides something is green and
should be darker than what the sensor thinks it's seeing?
No i think the meter is dependant on what the sensor is telling it. The sensor
is it's eyes. The sensor type defines it.

I did a whole system check of all my meters and i seperated them into catagories
as to it it's sensor types as those would compare directly.

A "system" might be what's in a Nikon F5 but Selenium, Silicon Blue, CdS meters
are life support systems for it's sensors i think in other cameras and meters.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

My Pilot 2 Gossen Selenium compares nicely against my meter in my Rolleiflex 2.8
F and on my Hasselblad meter Knob(crank).
The fact they are all the same exact meter as well cell might have something to
do with it.
My Nikons agreed fairly well with my Leica M6 which agree with my Minolta spot
meter F.
MY Gossen Luna Pro Digital SBC Silicon Photodiode read a stop low but my new
Gossen Luna Pro Digital F is right up there.
I used it when shooting a family with my Rolleiflex. I also use it the most with
my Hasselblad as in all last week in Carmel and Point Lobos.
My Rollei 35 is much less of an anomaly now that it has the right batteries in
it. That's what makes a test like this worthwhile,
and my XA Olympus does what it wants to do which does not line up with anything
else but I'd just let it, last time i shot it.
Yet to test my Olympus Pen F meter against everything else and my newer TTL M6 body.

And my new speed graphic mini don't have no meter so I'm free to use the Gossans
or Minolta. It has no way to argue.