Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:39:54 -0700

It's not the questions themselves that prompt personal responses, it's the tone you couch them in.  Let me give you an example:

"Oh dear ... what in the world is "brutal sharpness"?   Is it anything like the "Leica Glow"?"

versus

"I just don't understand your use of the adjective "brutal" when referring to sharpness.  To me sharp has always been just sharp.  What could make one sort of sharpness "brutal" and another "friendly"?  Nothing in my experience would lead me to characterize sharpness like that, and that makes me suspect your referring to yet another mythical (or at least highly subjective) quality.  Could you explain what you mean, and suggest what might cause it?"

One question starts a discussion on the subjective qualities of sharp images, the other is contemptuous and dismissive.  Guess which is which.

Paul