Subject: RE: [Leica] A Lesson Learned?
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:51:15 -0700

I disagree with Austin on some of his points.... ... I have had 6 or 7
Pentax Digital meters in the same place at the same time..... ( no, not all
mine.... ) some were factory stock, others were Zone VI modified.....

We metered trees, grass, etc. and basically the modified by Zone VI and the
un modified meters gave the same results.  Then we tried a few man made
bizarro colors... really candy apple red, purple, etc. and got very
different results.  The mods did shift the metering cell.....

CDS cells, are supposed to be the truest to film... Silicon Blue have the
widest bandwidth, and therefore must be "choked down" by filtering to
achieve results like you might expect...  To Austin's point, they SHOULD be
a;l modified to achieve the same results.....

The other difference is the film sensitivity.....  My testing says that TMax
100 has a differennt response than does Tri-X.... Tmax is "greener"... the
greens are hotter, print lighter, etc.....

Bottom line is test, test, test...... and use only 1 meter, or else ecxpect
to be testing all the time, and not taking pictures!

BTW, my trip to Europe was all metered on my M6TTL meter, off my HAND as a
subject....  the exposures were very consistent and that was over a period
of 3 weeks of daily shooting....  This is more similar to metering a Kodak
18% grey card... but it does work.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Different sensors do see colors
on different curves, but the metering system are designed to take this
into consideration and should still give (reasonably) the same results.
Austin,