Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Salgado
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:55:22 +0100

I think before you should prejudge you should visit the McCullin exhibition
and see his images which brought tears to the eyes of virtually every person
who viewed them, and has done a tremendous job raising public and, more
importantly, political awareness to a major problem. They were done on
behalf of a major charity who are reaping the benefits in their donations
and therefore able to do more great work. It is only by the efforts of
photographers like Salgado and McCullin that tragedies of this magnitude are
brought to the attention of the masses and kept in the forefront of their
thoughts. After all, if McCullins photographs are so banal why was he
stopped by the Ministry of Defence in the UK from covering the Falklands
crisis because he would send back images which would show it as it really
was instead of the controlled images that they desired for their political
ends.

It is photojournalism that explains man to mankind and man to himself (not
my quote) and to belittle the work of such great people in this way is
disappointing in the extreme.

Gerry

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re:Salgado)