Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux, T3, or GR-1 ??
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de

> From the above, the GR-1 is the lightest, flatest and cheapest, but
> with a 28mm lens, nice for indoor use and close-up street shooting, not
> so nice for head & shoulder portraits for which you may prefer a
> slightly longer lens. No shiny "titanium" shell, but plain black
> anodised magnesium (flamable?). And a surprisingly good brightframe
> finder with indicator for shutter speeds and parallax marks that appear
> automatically when things are getting to close.

the plaudits bestowed upon the unglamorous ricoh confirm my belief that leica
users are not status-seekers looking for optical jewelry, but photographers
in earnest search for good tools, irrespective of name or red dots.

> Its greatest feature from my point of view is the switch for the flash
> mode, which stays where it is after turning on/off the camera.
> Practically all other point & shoot cameras reset flash mode to "auto"
> when turned on. That means the flash capacitator is always charged
> (draining the battery) and to turn it off, you have to press tiny
> buttons severall times.
>
> Hans-Peter

the contax T2 (now discontinued) had a modal flash setting state (it was
the aperture ring).  i don't know about the T3 however, as it does not
have a physical aperture ring.  i agree with Hans-Peter that falling back
into flash-on-auto every time you open the camera is an inconvenient
design "feature."

- -rei

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Minilux, T3, or GR-1 ??)