Subject: [Leica] Pinhole camera quality
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:13:29 -0700

There has been some discussion on this list about the image quality that can
be attained with a pinhole camera.

 >> A properly-sized pinhole should be able to beat any Leica lens, too, as
long
>> as
>> exposure times are not an issue.
>
> That is utter rubbish. You prove your ignorance every time you post.
> Congratulations.

>Jimmy is of course quite right. Will Msxmanic admit his diffraction-limited
>error? I can't wait. Over on Streetphoto he recently admitted he DIDN'T KNOW
>something, so anything is possible.

Anthony commented on pinhole quality and some typical responses are quoted
above. One of the reasons for me to stay out of discussions as long as
possible is the agressive tone and low quality of many exchanges of opinion.
But before proving/stating some persons ignorance one might want to look up
the facts in an optical handbook.
While Anthony's statement is not exactly true, there is more value in it
that the commenters want to belive.
A pinhole camera, with a properly measured diameter of the pinhole will give
you distortion free architectural pictures of great depth of field and very
commendable reproduction of shapes and even details.  Of course the edges of
the pinhole will generate diffraction but I wonder if it is more than that
what you would get when stopping down a lens to f/16.

In Jenkins/White: Fundamentals of Optics you can see a reproduction of a
picture taken with a pinhole that some would assume could have been taken
with an older Leica lens.

So before you hang a man at the willows, do your home work.

Erwin