Subject: Re: [Leica] Pinhole camera quality
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 16:45:56 -0400

on 8/4/01 12:13 AM, Erwin Puts at imxputs@ision.nl wrote:

> Of course the edges of
> the pinhole will generate diffraction but I wonder if it is more than that
> what you would get when stopping down a lens to f/16.

A pinhole is somewhere around f/200 or f/300, getting towards the size where
it is possible to see the Airy disk, or diffraction interference patterns,
from a point source.

This is not remotely comparable to a lens stopped down to f/16

I feel that there is a fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

I am not going to go into the derivation of the limit for the resolution of
a pinhole optic as it is too long and boring but I posted a link to one
version of it yesterday if anyone's curious.

Pinhole images are indeed distortion free but to compare (on the basis of a
book reproduction) to images formed by an 'older Leica lens' is really
completely beyond me and, I would imagine, anyone else who has used a
pinhole camera.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com