Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 & MF, scans, and Bali
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 22:10:24 +0200

I've been trying a bit of Kodachrome recently, after hearing so much about the
discontinuation of K25, and I find that it shows very smooth gradations of
tonality, and no grain that I can readily see.  The K64 also seemed a little
sharper, although this is very iffy since I was shooting handheld.  However, it
is far less saturation than Provia, and seems to have bit less contrast.  The
colors do seem pretty faithful (Provia sometimes is just a bit warm with skin
tones).  It doesn't seem to be any more difficult to scan than Provia.

I suppose that with the right processing and scanning, Kodachrome can provide
renditions of a scene that are extremely close to real life.  However, I don't
know how much of an advantage that really is, particularly since just about all
slides are scanned and adjusted nowadays, anyway.