Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommended wanted: 1st camera for 10 year old
From: brad daly <bwdaly@hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 23:13:08 -0500

it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend, of course.

i have an el cheapo lomo smena, cost about 20 bucks.  it has adjustable
f-stops and shutter speeds.  it'd be a great way for your nephew to learn
exposure and composition without having to worry about dropping/losing etc.

if you're wanting to go more SLR, you might try something like the pentax
ZX-M.  it's available with a 50mm f/2 for around $300.00.  it's a great
little camera with a really nice lens.  it's what i always recommend to
people coming into my store wanting a first camera.  they're usually more
interested in an N80 with 28-80 Crapron zoom or something like that.  but
that's advertising's fault.

a yashica T4 super has a really nice lens.  and the stylus epic, of course,
is always a good and inexpensive choice.  i think i'd recommend getting him
something MANUAL, though, so he'll actually learn photography and not learn
just to press a button.

digital, as many have suggested, is always a good idea.

my compliments on encouraging photography in a young'un.

- --brad

- --
brad daly	                  bwdaly@hiwaay.net
photographs: http://home.hiwaay.net/~bwdaly
"Before I was a drug addict, I had so many different problems.  Now I just
have one: drugs.  It gave my life a real focus."
	--Lyle, in John Waters' _Cecil B. Demeted_
"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg