Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommended wanted: 1st camera for 10 year old
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 09:12:25 +0200

Andrew,

I think the choice depends on whether you think he might become seriously
interested in photography or whether he just wants to take a few snaps. In
the latter case, something like the Olympus Mju 2 (I think Stylus Epic in the
USA) would be ideal. It gives serious image quality and is rain-proof to
boot.

If, on the other hand, he might be seriously interested, a manual SLR like
the Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens would be the best choice. I bought a
Leicaflex SL with 50mm Summicron for less than $400 a couple of years ago,
proceeded to sell the lens for $200 since I already had the 60mm macro to use
as a normal lens, and so for less than $200 I have a backup body for my R8
and a camera that my 12-year old son enjoys using when we go on a photo
expedition together. It is easy to focus thanks to the best and brightest
viewfinder in the business, rugged, and has absolutely no controls beyond
aperture and shutter speed. Just the ticket for learning photography
(assuming that this is the goa).

Nathan

Andrew Schroter wrote:

> My nephew recently celebrated his tenth birthday and seemed interested in
> taking picturres using my R8. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding a
> camera that might be a good 1st camera for him?  Are there any good
> introductory books for a person that age?

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch