Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o.
From: lea <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 08:54:35 -0500

OH yes, smart and all that...I had my daughter in her high chair in the darkroom
with me when she was only 9 months old...she loved seeing the light go on and off.

And I'm not saying kids aren't savvy but who amongst us would hand their kid a
Porsche without teaching them to drive first?

There is a proper order to all things.
Lea

Pablo Kolodny wrote:

> on 4/8/01 8:39 PM, Doug Herr at telyt@earthlink.net wrote:
>

> > lea wrote:
> >
> >> I'd get him an Olympus Stylus, 25 rolls of film with developing and some
> >> photo
> >> albums. That will encourage him to shoot. As the prints come back from the
> >> lab,
> >> sit down with him, put the pics in albums and talk about what worked and what
> >> didn't.
> >>
> >> He'll learn far more this way than handing him a camera with buttons and
> >> dials
> >> that make no sense.
> >
> >> It all takes time. Don't rush it. For a kid, the joy is in the pictures, not
> >> the
> >> tools.
> >> Lea
> >>

> > Lea,  I agree moslty.  There are some kids for whom the process is as
> > important as
> > the results (my younger daughter, for example).  But I definitely would not
> > sacrifice results for the sake of the process.
> >
> > Doug Herr
> > Birdman of Sacramento
> > http://www.wildlightphoto.com
> >

> I find that, at least most of the times, kids are very curious about the
> magic from loading a roll film into a camera and up to processing it and
> then enlarge...and I'm talking about kids ranging 8 and up...
> My four year son enjoys looking at my cameras and he loves playing with his
> Holga...a very cheap toy we gave to him to take him close with photo gear...
> And more, he actually helps me develop my test strips at the darkroom. He
> recognizes the emulsion side of the paper and love to share with me by the
> safelights....
> That said, I'll understand that when he becomes a teen he use a Stylus
> camera as a hammer on my head while asking for my Rolleis or Leicas....
> I'll let you know as soon as ...well, just 10 years or so...
> Lea, let your daughter have the Stylus over a shelf, as a souvenir...
> We should know that kids are like us: very keen, intelligent and smart but
> in a smaller size.
>
> regards

- --
Lea Murphy