Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o./Estimate kids
From: Pablo Kolodny <pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:03:37 -0300

on 6/8/01 2:54 AM, Mxsmanic at mxsmanic@hotmail.com wrote:

> So, do you teach your kids to make paper from wood and rag pulp before they
> can
> do any writing?  Do you teach them to generate their own electricity with a
> pedal-driven generator before they can turn the lights on in their rooms?
> After
> all, that would help them grow up skilled and knowledgeable.

Beyond that superfluous metaphor,  meaning that you prefer to keep them as
little idiots, wouldn't you teach them to make paper that way ? You'd feel
happy to do it...

In the same way, you could teach them to handle film, tanks, reels,
chemistry, trays, enlargers, photo paper (they love the darkroom) and
cameras...

I will add just one comment: my almost 4 years old boy (he'll be four on
next August 31st) already knows the emulsion side of photo paper when we are
working in the darkroom under Kodak safe lights. He loves to trigger the
enlarger via the enlarger timer, then taking the piece of paper in the
processor slot emulsion side down...
On the other side, you should have a look at him when handling the M6.
I'm not saying he's already capable to "see" through the finder, focus and
so on but he feels the camera as any of other adult Luger out there.

Replies: Reply from "Harold Gess" <Harold.Gess@btinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o.)