Subject: Re: [Leica] question on M6TTL camera
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:15:10 +0200

Nguyen writes:

> when I crank the film back into spool, when
> i release the winder crank, the crank always
> spin back.  is this normal ?

Yes.  The film in the cartridge acts like a weak spring.  When you crank the
film back into the cartridge, you pull the "spring" tight, and when you release
the crank, it unwinds a bit inside the cartridge naturally, turning the crank
backwards.  It is entirely normal and nothing to worry about.

The only think you need to remember is that you should wind the crank until you
feel the film suddenly loosen up, which means that it is released from the
takeup spool.  Turn it a few more turns to pull the film completely into the
cartridge, and then you can open the camera and remove it.

> I have SLR and when i winding the film back
> into spool after i advance the film into 1st
> frame the winder crank isn't spin back.

It depends on the camera and how much tension it puts on the film when you
rewind it.  If the tension is very low, the crank may not spin backwards.
However, this is normal for the M with most films (some films are springier than
others).