Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit Haze...and M3/suggestions wanted
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:00:44 -0700

Hi ...

I've an M3 and a Summarit, which came with the camera.  Mine was in
pretty good shape having never been off the camera (it was the only
lens the PO had) and having always had a UV filter over the front
element.  Even so it needed a little work, and Sherry charged me
$50.00 for what she called a "half overhaul".

I've used the lens a few times and I don't care for it too much as a
"general shooter", but there are times its reduced contrast and
softness is appropriate and welcome.  Since the lens is already pretty
soft, the haze may make it unacceptable for your photography. IMO,
it's worth it to have Sherry have a look at it - if I recall
correctly, she had some "new" front element groups available, so a
good CLA and a replacement of the front group (if needed) may really
do wonders for that puppy.  At least have her give you an estimate.
- --
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net
"Why should I use a meter?  What if the darn thing broke on me
when I was out making a photograph? Then what would I do?"