Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:13:31 -0700

Gerry Walden wrote:

> I changed from an EOS1 to the R8 about a year ago and have never regretted
> it. I use it with the motor drive which makes it a very well balanced camera
> and no heavier than most pro equipment. I use a variety of lenses and find
> the metering system virtually fool proof (and there are times when I have
> been a fool) to the extent that I have set the wrong mode and the camera has
> known better than me. At other times I have used manual and the camera has
> been fine. It does take a little getting used to in some modes (e.g. shutter
> priority) when it may override you if you have set too low a shutter speed
> or vice versa for the lens/light combination).
>
> Although the lenses do tend to look expensive they are no dearer generally
> than the equivalent Canon 'L' series and are so sharp that you could cut
> yourself on them. And you do know that they are going to last you the rest
> of your life with no compatibility problems. My 100mm macro I know is long
> in the tooth but the optics are great and it works just fine.
>
> Gerry

I normally hate Canon for no rational reasons but just read an critical on their
new 65 mm macro lens which goes way past 1:1 to 5:1!
Some may buy the camera just to use this lens if they had not already bought it
for their tilt shift lenses which out tilt and shifts anything on the planet for 35mm.
Canon is way ahead on pretty much everybody on this innovative glass stuff.
Erwin was mentioning to this effect.
The stabilization stuff is their third atomic bomb the rest of the glass guys
have to compete with.
Nikon is like Avis. Leica who?
The macro is non AF by the way!
All we've got is our cheap soft molded Asph's!
I think our new 28 will turn some heads.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/