Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 16:53:31 -0700

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

> > On a related topic - who is using the motor drive for the M6? What are your
><Snip>
> > Adam Bridge
> >
> adam,
>
> a couple of years ago, i picked up the old motor drive for the m6 (the tall
> one, with no grip).  it works well enough, not too noisy, reportedly
> does up to 3fps.  the release kicks back when you use it, though,
> and you must immediately lift your finger if you intend on making
> one shot only.  the other drawback is that once its connected, you are
> committed, since it replaces the baseplate.  so it's not like a nikon
> motor drive which you can put on and take off as you please.  it advances
> film, that's it, there's no electircal release or intervalometer or
> any of that.
>
> realistically, in the few years i've had it, i've used the drive maybe
> 3-4 times.   i suppose it's a little antithetical to the normal operation
> of the camera.
>
> -rei

I've used the Leica Winder M for years which you refer to as the old motor drive
when cranking out stuff in the studio on the backdrop or even on "location" if
I've got plenty of rolls to crank out. This may change though with my new
Rapidwinder which i got this week. I may not feel the need to use the  Leica
Winder M as the Rapidwinder is so efficient even though it is really you doing
the winding; it is completely effortless and smooth and your eye contact in the
viewer is not the slightest bit disturbed. I can see shooting ten rolls in 3
hours with this just like I'd done with the motorized winder.

The newer motorized Winder is so compact and seems enticing. But so does getting
another Rapidwinder, this time in Chrome instead of black for my chrome camera.
Problem is my wife also has a chrome camera and she's going to be the one that
gets it first!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA