Subject: [Leica] my old m6 my new m3 - a tale of frankenleica and terror....
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:37:54 -0400 (EDT)

so ... the camera fix it folks have had my m6 since june 12, fixing the
vertical alignment, i call, they say "not yet", i call later, they say
"not yet", meanwhile i'm stuck with an m3 that isn't quite what i'd hoped,
but with the incredible assistance of some luggers (jim shulman, steve
lehurray and sal dimarco), bit by bit, piece by piece, this m3 is turning
into something _useable_. it loads faster, winds quicker, rewinds quicker,
and, well, there's an aux viewfinder ...

 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/m3/frankenleica1.jpg
 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/m3/frankenleica2.jpg

so it's a lot more _useable_ but i'm still PISSED about my m6, so
today, i call the repair shop again, and have the following conversation:

"look, if you can't FIX it by friday, just send it BACK to me."
"even if it's not fixed."
"right. even if it's not fixed, i'm going crazy not taking pictures."

<long befuddled pause, and i am NOT kidding>

"you're _using_ this camera to take pictures?"
"of course."

<pause and i swear to god i am NOT KIDDING>

"oh dear, i am VERY SORRY, we just -- i just -- we always think of leicas
as collectors, if i realized this was your _camera_, look, i'm going to
call the repair department RIGHT NOW and tell them you need this back. i'm
so sorry, i thought this was part of a collection, we didn't realize you
needed it."

<obviously, she had not SEEN my m6. how did she think the vert got out of
alignment? on a shelf?>

"it's real beat up."

"i'll call you by friday, and i must appologise again."

 keep calling that shop, you'll get your camera back,

 k c

 (next scheduled improvement for m3, FLASH SYNC!)

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] my old m6 my new m3 - a tale of frankenleica and terror....)
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] my old m6 my new m3 - a tale of frankenleica and terror....)