Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the R8
From: "David E. Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:46:09 -0400

Over this past weekend I shot a Watercross race for my newspaper. For the
paper, I
used the paper's D-1 with the 300mmf2.8 ED-IF lens. I also wnated to shoot
some film
so I brought along my EOS-1 with a 300mmf2.8L EF lens and my R8 with the
280mmf2.8
APO Telyt.

Watercross is where they race snowmobiles across water. It seems so
unnatural, but
these sleds easily exceed 70mph in sprints and are impressive when they race
the oval
course!

I shot the "must have" with the D-1 and I was very unimpresses with its
meter. If I had trusted
its meter, I would have consistantly been underexposed. I used the replay
feature to tweek
my exposure and things worked out. Note, I used  manual exposure mode with
the
autofocus set to continuous. The autofocus is quite good, but at large
aperatures and a
long lens, the focus point may not be where it needs to be.

The EOS-1 is an older generation of autofocus, but it still can deliver. The
meter is very good
and the handling superb. The use of the E1 booster gives a quick motor
response with good
cold weather performance. Maybe it was the 90F+ temperatures, but the
battery gave out
after the first roll. Without a spare battery, I put the camera back in my
truck.

After the Canon battery died, I took the R8 with the 280f2.8 APO-Telyt on
the Leica
shoulder stock. This combination of an superb camera with the best metering
of the
3 cameras I used, a superb lens with manual focus that allows focus to be
placed where
it should be. The shoulder stock really allows much better follow focus
because you can
move more freely, unlike a monopod or tripod, unfortunately the whole
package is still
heavy and your arms will get a workout!

I've used the D-1 for the past year and a half, the R8 for 3 years and the
EOS-1 for more
than 10 years.

Conclusions:

All systems are superb in their own right, but....

the D-1 matrix metering is not all its cracked up to be,

the image quality of the D-1 is quite good, but pales compared to the
film/scanner images,

the autofocus of the D-1 is good, but manual focus is superior,

the ergonomics of the EOS-1 are second to no one but the display lacks a lot
of information,

the EOS-1 autofocus is a little bit slower than the D-1 but still useful,

the R8 gives a photographer a robust platform that is simple to move around
with, gives a
readout of all relavent information and is just plain simple and effective,

the optical quality of the Leica lens is markedly superior to both Nikon and
Canon
(there is nothing wrong with the Nikon and Canon lenses, Leica is just
better),

though I shot the R8 in manual, I found it easier to concentrate on the
shot, not having
to sacrifice composition in order to keep the focus sensor on target.

The motorized R8 is about the same size and weight as the other two systems
and was
my clear favorite. It has everything I need and everything I want in an
elegant and deceptively
simple package.

Regards,
Dave Strang