Subject: Re: [Leica] Chronological or logical
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <lgriffiths@ue.com.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:51:15 +1000

Dave Hillman  wrote:

>I understand and agree to the need for more degrees of selection than one.

>But aren't those two - date and theme - insufficient?

I agree entirely.  I use a similar method to the one you described in your
post.  First I give each film a unique identifier, based on film format,
chronological order and sequence.  Eg. 20010100 would be the 100th roll of
35mm film taken in 2001.  Stored in order they're easy to locate.

Next, I record each film on database which sounds time consuming but isn't.
The database program I use is a bibliographical one called "Pro-Cite", which
can have a small or large number of fields as you see fit.  There are a
number of bibliographical programs available.  (I used to use this when I
was writing my PhD - it can store any number of references on all sorts of
formats - books, films, cd-Roms etc).  The main stuff I record is the
obvious stuff - date, place, film type (general & specific), key words and
descriptors, and any technical notes as necessary (eg, push processing etc).

The database program then allows bollean searches and any number of ways in
which the information can be categorised, organised, printed out etc so
finding a particular image / negative / subject is easy peasy.

cheers,
Lucian G.
(ps. I've been away from the LUG about a week, due to changing jobs - hence
the different email address, so apologies if the above information has
already been suggested).