Subject: Re: [Leica] 100mm f2 focussing
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:32:50 -0400 (EDT)

Mark:

	A 100 f/2 still has some DOF, so what I would suggest is aiming
for the nose.  Since there is more DOF behind the focused point than in
fron (by a factor of 2, I believe), you should be able to get the eyes.
It is very easy to focus behind the subject with an RF.  The other thing
is, as you said, you may need more magnification, or perfect RF alignment.
You might also have the lens checked on a collimator.

	If the 100/2 Canon turns out to be a dud, try the 105 Nikkor.
It's getting kind of pricey (2/3 the price of the Canon), but it is very
well made and has an extremely accurate focusing cam.  It is also
hellishly sharp and has good isolation wide-open.

Cheers
Dante