Subject: Re: [Leica] 100mm f2 focussing
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:56:17 -0700

Mark:  Most people (including me) rack the lens in to infinity and focus
in from there.

I tried the opposite, and (when I remember) it works better for me.
Start the lens focused closer than your subject and focus out.  Then
when it looks right, *don't fiddle.*  Take the picture.

This is a modification of Ted Grant's advice on focusing wide angles
with an SLR.  I think it works because 1, the rangefinder is often more
positive than an SLR--it's only right in one place, rather than variou
degrees of blurred.  Also, if you guess wrong, you will be focused a
little too close, which gives you greater margin for error.  As Dante
noted, depth of field is distributed 1/3 in front of the point of focus
and 2/3 behind.  So if you're focused a teeny bit too close, you have
twice as much chance of being in the ballpark.

I don't have a Canon 100/2, but I do have the 85/1.9.

- --Peter

Dante says: