Subject: RE: [Leica] Organizing images
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:28:07 -0500

Trish,

The proportion of time I spend filing is less than it should be. It's hard
to break it down into percentages. A lot depends on time of year, and type
of film. I print more b/w in the winter. I shoot more in the summer.

You're brave to keep everything on a 75 gig drive. I have a 100 GB of
storage and a 35GB tape backup system, but the images don't stay there for
long. I work with digital video which chews up storage in no time. I try and
keep as much available room as possible.

For a while I stored still images to tape. Now I burn everything onto CD.
It's far more efficient. Cost is approx $0.25 per CD. Inexpensive and easy.
Each CD holds several hundred images and index files. Very easy to store.
The original color negs I keep in a filing cabinet in the same glassine
strips in which they came back from the lab. B/W negs I keep in a 3 ring
binder in print file archival preservers. A majority of what I do these days
in color is for web or on-line. I don't do much color printing.

I remember seeing an old photo in Life or Look or some other publication.
The editors appeared to be swimming in prints. Some things never change.

Dave