Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:18:56 -0700

Félix López de Maturana wrote:

> "I have an F-5, Canon A2E and Leica SL2 MOT.  IMHO all of the systems have
> pluses and minuses, and they are the right tool for a particular type of
> photography.  I am happy with the three of them, but I must confess that the
> one I use the least is the Canon one.  I would be interested to learn of
> your thought process when deciding for the Canon system.
>
> Best,
>
> Javier Montiel
> Coral Gables, Fl."
>
> Javier,
>
> Perhaps the comparison is not really fair as youd had to match the tops of
> the line: F5, 1V and R8. Then the conclusions will be more adecuated. I did
> this test but this is another story. No more flames. You and only you need
> to get the right answer. All the three cameras are excelent and Leica lenses
> probably the best but Canon L and Nikon AFS are too very good.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Félix

There are Savants out there who can take full advantage of so many SLR 35mm hi
tech systems but most would do better to really understand how to use fewer and
simpler tools better.
Me i like Leica MS but T hats not all i use i also use fully manual Hasselblads.
I don T even have a meter prism.
And although it would seem redundant to some I'll also use my Rolleiflex 2.8 F
which has a meter which works pretty well and a 2.8 Planar just like I've got
for my Hasselblad. Although i do have a full Hasselblad "system" built around that.
AND I have a large format Cambo/Calumat NX which I almost never use but someday
it will hit me like gardening.

In a big tupperware tub I've got my old Nikon system which I'll do some macro
stuff once or twice a year untill i replace this need with some Viso stuff for
my M. And longer tele. But i might get into Leica R or Contax. And i salivate
over the Contax 645 system as well as the Bronica 645 rangefinder.

But that's WAY too many cameras.

Mark too many cameras Rabiner

Fewer and simpler tools better, Oregon
USA