Subject: [Leica] Re: Curved edges
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:15:55 -0700

Mary,

Which lines are not straight? Lines IN the print (telephone poles, building
sides, windows, etc.) or the edge of the print where there is a white
border crreated by the easel blades or easel border that holds the paper
down during exposure?

What kind of easel are you using?

I cannot believe it would be IN the print as that would not have changed
and would actually be flatter/straighter in the glass carrier.

If it is the edge of your print, your glassLESS neg carrier is not full
frame and you are probably using the easel to create a border on your
prints. Easels make straight lines. If you are printing inside the easel
with the glassLESS carrier, the carrier edges are machined straight and you
will get straight border lines.

With your new glassless carrier, you are probably printing the entire
negative including the space around the film, giving you a black line
around your print followed by the white border from the easel. Is this
correct? If so, it is your negative edges that are causing the non straight
lines since you are printing the edges as well as the image itself.

Bottom line, going from a glassless to a glass carrier will have no effect
on the image lines except that the glass carrier will give a flatter
straighter representation of the image (but watch out for newton rings and
dust.) The edge of your print is controlled by the edge of the neg carrier
and the easel blades or edges (depending upon easel type.) And should be
straight.

So look at the edges of your negative which you are now printing but were
not printing before. And how they lines up with the blades of your easel.

I hope I read your question correctly...  :)

Jim