Subject: Re: [Leica] Wide angle lens
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:02:22 -0500

>My only lens for my leica right now is a ASPH 50mm summicron .  I
>have my Canon rebel for the telephoto and zoom stuff, but because of
>the tight quarters I would like to get a super wide angle lens for
>my M3.  I have been hearing a lot about the wide angle heliar's .
>Price is a major factor and the heliars are relatively cheap, but
>what are my other options?  Do I need an adapter If I want to use a
>heliar?
>
>Thanks for your constant pool of knowledge,
>David Degner

Hi David--
I'm new to LUG, but not to Leicas. (Sorry for this late reply).
I started as a photographer/photojournalist while still in
highschool, too and it's a great way (and time) to start.
Please, don't get anything wider than 28mm to go with your 50mm.
Believe me, anything wider is too much for you right now. Bill
Garrett, photographer and eventually editor of National Geographic
Magazine once said that all a photojournalist needs is a Leica  (M)
with a 28mm and a 50mm. Believe it. Keep it simple for your project.
The 28mm will be plenty and will "seem" very wide compared with the
50mm you've been using. Since you're using an M3 you'll need an
auxiliary viewfinder--but you'll get use to it. Probably even like
it. It's a very clear, unobstructed way of seeing.
Good luck
John Fulton
Fort Worth