Subject: [Leica] The American's, long, and somewhat off topic.
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:59:57 -0400

As a word of explanation, one of the reason's Frank's early work resonates
with me is my experience in America is in some ways even harsher than
Frank's.  When I spent summers with my grandparents in the Mississippi
Delta(for non Americans this is not where the river empties into the Gulf of
Mexico but a large very fertile old flood plain 200 or so miles north of New
Orleans) I experienced something akin to the "Twilight Zone".  While on the
300 or so acres that my grandfather owned I was in a land of Harvard
progressive liberalism as defined by the inter-war period.  When I stepped
outside the bubble I was in some dark ages feudal country where the landed
gentry bet on horses or lynched a few peasants to keep them in their
place(literally).  Inside the bubble, discussions on what can be done to
improve educational infrastructure and prevent white-flight from the newly
integrated public schools.  Outside the bubble, ten people living in a two
bedroom shotgun shack rented at exorbitant rates from the land owner with no
running water and no indoor plumbing of any sort.  The only work for the non
landed gentry was chopping cotton.  And oh, by the way, we just bought some
new farm equipment and we're not going to need you any more:  how are you
going to pay me your rent now that I can't take it out of your wages?

Moving to the present, that experience has served well in being open to
other peoples presentation of their reality.  Which brings me to artistic
endeavors; at their best, most revealing level great art endows the viewer
with new vision, reality, understanding, zeitgeist.  Also, when confronted
with a vision that contradicts my life experience I stop, and try to
understand the statement being made.  The major point being made is that
there are many realities, life is more interesting when you explore the
possibilities being presented.

Now, on topic, that is why I find a rangefinder Leica so wonderful.  I carry
one with me most times and record life.  Most of the time rather banal,
sometimes very revealing.

Thanks for listening

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com