Subject: Re: [Leica] "pre-set"
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:29:36 -0700

At 8:59 AM -0700 8/16/01, Herbert & Lee Kanner wrote:
>I'm familiar with the notion of a pre-set lens for SLR cameras.
>They pre-dated the automatic diaphragm.  But what in the world is a
>"pre-set 90 mm Summicron"? I see them advertised in the used
>sections of the B&H and KEH catalogs.

The first generation 90 Summicrons could have their lens heads
removed to be used on Viso II and III with a short focussing mount.
If they were intended for this use, they could be ordered with a
preset diaphragm control to make life easier on the Viso. Usually, if
they were ordered with the preset lens head, they were also ordered
with the short mount only, and a 'long' mount might not be available
to couple them to the M bodies directly. For use on the M directly,
with rangefinder coupling the preset diaphragm was not an advantage,
and could lead to accidental overexposure, as the correct f/stop
might be set, but the stop down ring not turned to close. Just one
more way to screw up. I've only seen the preset lensheads in chrome.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com