Subject: Re: [Leica] "pre-set"
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:50:01 -0700

At 9:19 PM -0400 8/16/01, Simon Stevens wrote:
>  >For use on the M directly,
>>with rangefinder coupling the preset diaphragm was not an advantage,
>>and could lead to accidental overexposure, as the correct f/stop
>>might be set, but the stop down ring not turned to close. Just one
>>more way to screw up. I've only seen the preset lensheads in chrome.
>
>Henning:
>
>I have a black 1964 example with the mount to put it directly on my Ms
>(it focuses pretty close, too!). I got it completely by accident and to
>honest I have never seen one exactly like it. Anyway, you do have to be
>careful with the preset ring but it's not that bad. The rings are close
>together so you just make sure to grab them both. Unfortunately, there
>is no way to leave the ring in the closed position because if you open
>the aperture up the ring moves.
>
>I'm tempted to get a viso and bellows. I imagine the 90 would make a
>decent macro lens.

I think you must have a fairly rare example. I don't keep up with
stuff like that very much, but I'm sure not too many were made. Is
this a black paint lens? As for the 90 being a macro lens; don't bet
on it. It's not too bad stopped down, but nothing too exciting
either. Using it on a Viso with the preset is a pain as well. Auto
stop-down aperture is one of those things that made SLR usage so
dominant. I tended to use lenses on the Viso's that didn't need
stopping down, like the 400's.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design